Tag: 不准不开心

  • Concern that radio station manager is facing sham trial

    first_img August 6, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Concern that radio station manager is facing sham trial GambiaAfrica to go further Organisation GambiaAfrica News News RSF_en Follow the news on Gambia August 6, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is alarmed by the judicial uncertainty hanging over Teranga FM radio manager Alagie Ceesay, who was brought before a Banjul court on a sedition charge on 4 August and again yesterday. Ceesay had been missing since 17 July before appearing in court on 4 August and, before that, he was held incommunicado for 11 days during the first half of July. His trial is due to start on 18 August.Ceesay is facing a possible fine of 50,000 to 200,000 dalasi for allegedly using his mobile phone to send a photo of a gun pointed at President Yahya Jammeh to two women on 16 July. Ceesay’s intention was “to raise discontent, hatred and disaffection” among the population,” the prosecution claims.During the hearings on 4 and 5 August, Ceesay’s lawyer requested his release on bail, as permitted by Gambian law in this kind of case. But bail was opposed by the prosecutor, who said Ceesay might try to escape or obstruct the investigation of a matter constituting a grave threat to national security.According to his family, Ceesay was held incommunicado at the headquarters of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) from 2 to 13 July, when he was released without being charged.His family says he was abducted again by NIA officials four days later, on 17 July, and remained missing for 18 days, until his appearance in court on 4 August. But according to the prosecution, there is no record of his detention during this period. The prosecutor’s office only became aware of his detention on 3 August.His lawyer said that, under Gambian law, no one may be held for more than 72 hours without being released or taken before a court to be informed of the charges against them. This legal provision was violated twice in Ceesay’s case.“We are very concerned about Ceesay’s judicial situation and we are very disappointed that the request for his release on bail was rejected,” RSF editor in chief Virginie Dangles said.“The judicial authorities must respect the provisions of the law. It is very disturbing that the NIA twice detained Sisay in a completely illegal manner for several weeks. We are alarmed by the way this case is developing and we fear a sham trial with the aim of persecuting the manager of a privately-owned radio station.”The Gambian authorities have been targeting Teranga FM for years and have closed it down three times for varying periods in 2011, in 2013-14 (for 16 months) and in 2015.Ruled since 1994 by President Yahya Jammeh, who is an RSF “Predator of Press Freedom,” Gambia is ranked 151st out of 180 countries in the press freedom index that RSF published in February.center_img News Three journalist arrested, two radio stations closed in Gambia Gambia: former president must stand trial for journalist’s murder Help by sharing this information January 27, 2020 Find out more Gambia still needs to address challenges to press freedom News Receive email alerts July 23, 2019 Find out morelast_img read more

  • Extensive Garda operation across Donegal to continue

    first_img Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Extensive Garda operation across Donegal to continue Twitter Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Google+ WhatsAppcenter_img Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic AudioHomepage BannerNews News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ The Donegal Crime Prevention Officer is warning that while phase one of the lifting of Covid-19 restrictions is underway in earnest, Gardai will be continuing their extensive operations. Mammoth checkpoints are on-going across the county while Gardai are also to closely monitor how people are complying with the slight easing of restrictions.Meanwhile the Justice Minister has confirmed that there are no plans lift powers given to Gardai in relation to policing during the pandemic in the short term.Sgt Paul Wallace says the majority of people are complying with the guidelines in place, but it’s vital more than ever that that continues:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/paulwallacvgghgfhgfhcelong-2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Previous articleFormer Donegal Sergeant warns over Garda mental healthNext articleNumber of suspected cases of Covid-19 at LUH rises News Highland Facebook Facebook WhatsApp By News Highland – May 18, 2020 last_img read more

  • Caribbean Leadership Seminar Brings Region Together To Address Crisis And Contingency Management

    first_imgBy Dialogo August 02, 2010 Over a thousand are dead and wounded after an explosion rocks the stadium parking lot in Johannesburg, South Africa during the championship match of the World Cup. The structural integrity of the stadium has been affected creating widespread panic among the thousands still inside the stadium. In the days leading up to the final, gang members have been attacking visitors to the matches by assaulting and robbing them. Tour buses enroute to the games have been hijacked and threats have been pouring into radio stations announcing future attacks unless the government ceases all operations against organized crime. Thankfully such an event didn’t happen during the recent World Cup in South Africa this summer, but this plausible scenario was what conference attendees were challenged to deal with at the 2010 Caribbean Leadership Seminar held in St. Kitts and Nevis. Co-hosted by U.S. Southern Command and other U.S. federal agencies including the FBI, security force leaders from the Caribbean attended the seminar to learn about deterring and dealing with events such as the one just mentioned. “This is very beneficial for us to understand the ways in which to handle this sort of crisis in the event that something like this was to happen,” said Commander Gregory Walcott – Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard. “Our country hosted the Cricket World Cup two years ago and we were fortunate that no attacks took place.” Throughout the three-day seminar, issues that were presented and discussed by FBI agents included crisis management, identifying and assessing key vulnerabilities, strategic planning, and panel discussions where attendees were separated into groups and presented critical scenarios. The seminar also focused on illicit trafficking, disaster preparedness and humanitarian assistance with Haiti being the most recent example of how the region came together to assist the earthquake-ravaged country. One of the main themes that the presenters wanted to make clear was that with sufficient planning and preparedness, in addition to regional cooperation among nations, most of these threats can be addressed and possibly even averted. “What we want people to take away from this seminar is that not every country can resolve certain issues on their own,” said FBI Special Agent Norman Scott, who is currently assigned to the embassy in Barbados. “The U.S. has the expertise to help provide solutions when asked, but we’re all in this together if we want to achieve our end goal.” Seminar attendees came away with a better understanding of how the U.S. interagency system worked and how that dynamic can be applied in their own country. Presenters also stressed the importance of networking between participants while attending the seminar. “Taking advantage of these conferences by meeting people is good for small countries like mine where we don’t have all the resources to combat these threats,” said Edison Joseph of the Dominica Police Force. “It’s good to know that we can all call on each other in the event that something arises.”last_img read more

  • Original Red Power Ranger Rediscovers America To Save Missing Child

    first_imgActor and original Red Power Ranger, Austin St. John, is to be featured and compete in season 11, Fireball Run: Big Country – and will at the same time join the search for a missing child.Austin St. John – Fireball RunSynopsis: Fireball Run is the real story of road warriors in a legendary competition across America in search of obscure historic artifacts, under-discovered places, and extraordinary experiences. And it’s all for bragging rights, a greater cause, and a plastic road sign.Available on Amazon, Fireball Run is a 26-episode adventure series which inspires viewers to explore the United States. Unlike Reality TV, Fireball Run, a Factual series, chronicles authentic experiences and notable places. To win the life-sized trivia game, teams take the road less traveled in an epic quest to re-discover America while also aiding in a massive effort to recover missing children.Paramedic, actor, author, martial artist, and original Red Power Ranger, Austin St. John was the first red suit in Saban Entertainment’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers television series and has since appeared in several Ranger revival shows. Austin recently starred alongside John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard) in A Gift Of The Heart. A Taekwondo and Judo expert, Austin also aided the U.S. armed forces overseas as a medic. Today the Roswell, New Mexico native keeps busy acting and connecting with fans on the convention circuit. Austin currently resides in McKinney, Texas.“When I first heard about Fireball Run I was intrigued by the unique adventure,” said Austin, who first learned about the series through his PR agent, Zach McGinnis. He continued, “But when I learned that by just being on the show I can help a missing child, well, that was it for me. My mighty fans and I are ready to get the word out on on little Alan.”While exploring America like never before, each team is provided 1,000 posters featuring a particular missing child to distribute along the 1,200-mile journey. Austin has been assigned 6-year-old Alan Rodriguez, who was last seen in Cedar Park, Texas on Sep 2, 2016. Fireball Run’s Race to Recover America’s Missing Children awareness campaign for The Child Rescue Network, a Florida based 501c3 charity, has aided in 49 recoveries since 2007.The nine-day, forty-team, point-based competition is filmed live in different cities. Using just clues, contestants find locations where they are to take part in a rare experience or unique challenge. Daily competition ends to a live event attended by spectators and media. Although the trophy is a plastic road sign, the real prize is the journey.Fans are encouraged to vote for their favorite contestant team at FireballRun.com, and to follow and interact with Austin St. John & Fireball Run on Facebook #AustinStJohn #FireballRun and Instagram #austin_st_john #fireballrunFireball Run: Big Country films September 23-30, 2017 in the destinations noted below.Eau Claire, WI (Green Flag City) Sep 23 – 24; Rochester, MN Sep 24 – 25; Dubuque, IA Sep 25-26; Burlington, IA Sep Sep 26/27; Fort Dodge, IA Sep 27/28; Vermillion, SD Sep 28; Yankton, SD Sep 29; Pierre, SD Sep 29/30; Rapid City, SD (Checkered Flag City) Sep 30.last_img read more

  • NYC pharmacies cant sell cigarettes starting Jan 1

    first_imgNew York City pharmacies won’t be allowed to sell cigarettes or other tobacco products starting Tuesday.The Wall Street Journal reports the ban also includes businesses that contain pharmacies, such as supermarkets and big-box stores.The city’s health department says the change will affect about 500 pharmacies currently selling tobacco products.The new rules follow a ban on electronic cigarette sales at pharmacies that took effect in late August.The owner of the St. George Pharmacy on Staten Island says cigarette sales had drawn customers who ended up making other purchases. Al Gentile says the government shouldn’t ban certain stores from selling tobacco products that can be purchased elsewhere.But a deputy health commissioner, Sonia Angell, says it’s important for pharmacies to promote health.___Information from: The Wall Street Journal, http://www.wsj.comThe Associated Presslast_img read more

  • Alberta government plans to invest 1 billion on bitumen upgrading projects

    first_imgThe goal is to have Alberta’s thick bitumen upgraded in the province so that more of it can flow through pipelines, leading to an increase in volume and sales.It’s expected to free up 30 percent of pipeline capacity at a time when bottlenecks are causing Alberta crude to sell at a steep discount on the North American market.The decision follows a recommendation from the government’s energy diversification advisory committee. EDMONTON, A.B. — Alberta is investing $1 billion in oilsands bitumen upgrading to get a bigger bang for the buck on its oil.Premier Rachel Notley says the money will be used for loan guarantees and grants to attract anywhere from two to five partial oil upgrading facilities – resulting in $5 billion of private investment.The project will begin in 2019 and last for eight years.last_img read more

  • RCMP seek man using stolen Credit Card

    first_imgThe suspect is described as:Caucasian male in his 20`swearing a blue shirt and black hat“Monitoring your banking activity on your phone can be a great tool to report suspicious activity and quickly cancel or lock your cards”, said Cst NEUSTAETER.  “In this case, the cardholder was able to confirm her card was stolen and immediately report it to police.”The Fort St John RCMP continue to investigate and are asking anyone who has information about this incident or can assist in identifying the suspect, please contact the Fort St John RCMP at 250-787-8100.Should you wish to remain anonymous, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or submit a tip online at www.crimestoppersnebc.ca. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – On May 19, 2019, the Fort St John RCMP received a report of a stolen credit card being fraudulently used at the Petro-Canada gas station located at 11724 Alaska Rd North.The card owner was in the process of cancelling their card when they noticed that a transaction had just been made at the gas station. Surveillance video from the gas station at the time when the card was used provided the images.last_img

  • Warehouse blaze Continuous negligence of fire safety norms led to Ggn tragedy

    first_imgGurugram: Sunday’s tragedy where two people died and five people were grievously injured because of the explosion at the warehouse could have been avoided if the caution was heeded earlier by the owners of the warehouse.According to the workers, an incident of fire had happened earlier too but the fire was doused by the workers. As was the case on Sunday the main reason for the fire was also the reaction of a huge amount of explosives that were being unloaded. Despite the dangers involved, the owner of Lucky Kataria warehouse continued to put the safety of workers at risk by giving them incentives to load explosive devices in their vehicles. According to sources, there were 75 kilograms of crackers along with nitrogen laden spray stuffed in only one auto. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderAccording to law enforcement officials, it was the reaction between the crackers and the nitrogen-laden spray that led to the explosion and then an inferno, which continued for more than an hour. The Gurugram police has filed the case under section 307 (Attempt to murder with no prior knowledge), 308 (culpable homicide) of the Indian Penal Code and the explosive act. The law enforcement officials have also apprehended the owner of the warehouse Bharat Bhushan Kataria and his son Amit Kataria. Meanwhile, after conducting the post mortem, Gurugram police have handed over the bodies to their families.last_img read more

  • Ohio State mens lacrosse suffers first loss of season 169 at Massachusetts

    OSU then-junior attacker Carter Brown (14) during the Buckeyes’ 15-12 win against Johns Hopkins on March 5 at Ohio Stadium. Credit: Courtesy of OSUThe Ohio State men’s lacrosse team early-season winning run came to an end on Saturday.The Buckeyes lost to the University of Massachusetts Minutemen by a score of 16-9 for their first loss and the Minutemen’s first win of the season.In similar fashion to their first two games, the Buckeyes fell into an early deficit. UMass won the opening faceoff, and junior attacker Gianni Bianchin scored his first of three goals in the half to give the Minutemen an early 1-0 lead.The Scarlet and Gray rebounded, however, and went on a 4-1 run to end the first quarter. Junior midfielder John Kelly scored two of his four goals in the quarter, and senior attacker Carter Brown threw a strike into the upper corner of the net for his third goal of the season to give OSU a 4-2 lead heading into the second quarter.However, on a mission to defend its home field, UMass came out of the gate strong in the second quarter.Bianchin scored two early goals to tie the game at four, and sophomore midfielder Buddy Carr scored his first of four goals with 8:23 left to cap a 4-0 Minutemen run and give the home team a 6-4 lead.OSU was unable to get any offensive momentum in the second quarter until Kelly scored with 4:47 remaining. An additional goal for each team to end the half gave UMass a 7-6 lead heading into the break.The Minutemen outshot the Buckeyes 20-13 in the first half, while OSU had a 7-5 advantage in faceoffs, leading to a relatively even first half between the two teams.Such was not the case in the second half.UMass blitzed the Buckeye defense in the second half, outscoring OSU 9-3 en route to a 16-9 finish. The Minutemen held a significant advantage in time of possession, leading to a 17-11 advantage in goal attempts.One reason for the disparity in goals scored in the second half was how UMass was able to capitalize on its opportunities. The Minutemen were able to score off OSU turnovers and empty-netters late in the game.On the other hand, the Buckeyes were unable to capitalize on extra-man opportunities following UMass penalties the entire game, including a small stretch when the OSU had a two-man advantage.One bright spot for the Buckeyes was the play of junior midfield specialist Jake Withers. Although he was unable to gain an extreme advantage in faceoffs like the previous two games, he did win the overall faceoff battle 13-12, extending his streak of positive differentials to three games.The Scarlet and Gray will try to rebound from the loss when they are set to go up against University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Friday at Ohio Stadium. The game is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. read more